The other day Ebi-kun and I went into Tokyo to the Ghosts, Stars and Underpants exhibition at the Tokyo Museum Of Contemporary Art.(review here) The building is beautifully designed and the exhibition was top notch. The first room participants were encouraged to transform themselves. Hanging from the walls were various items, a beard, a tail, a headband or a hat. You were invited to select something and wear it so that you transformed yourself and become a slightly different person.
This idea struck a chord with me, as Ebi-kun decided on a tail, that he wore for the rest of the day I began to thing about the concept and how we could apply it everyday. Obviously this is a great way for children to stretch their imagination and I am a big fan of the dressing up box but when do we lose that sense of adventure and childlike fun? The last room in the exhibit you were encouraged to make a costume for yourself and then allowed to take it home, Ebi-kun took this as wear it home, which he did, with no sign of being self conscious because people were looking at him.
What can we do, as adults to transform ourselves? Either in a serious effort to change from the stagnant boring person we may have become or just for the heck of it and change things up a bit? I am a big believer that we, as parents, are the biggest role models for our kids, so shouldn’t we be mixing things up, stretching our imagination and having fun, just for the heck of it? It doesn’t have to cost money ot take up a lot of time but it can have a big effect on how you feel.
Some ways to transform yourself…
- Wear perfume when normally you don’t (or make-up)
- Do your hair in a different style
- Paint your nails in a fun way (toe nails if you need a professional look for work!)
- Put on your best undies even if it is just a boring Monday
- Wear a piece of child made jewellery for the day
- Wear a super hero cape all day – even to the supermarket!
- If you are like me and wear the same jewellery everyday, change it up, put something different on.
- Wear a false mustache – for the whole day!
- Deliberately wear odd socks, the odder the better
- Wear a tail
- Have some fun making crowns and then everyone wear them.
- Try wearing a different combo of clothes, if you always wear a specific top with a certain pair of pant, do something rash and wear it with a skirt!
- Accessories, a great way to change things up!
I am sure you can think of more. Try it out, see how it feels, fall in love with how liberating it feels. If you are to shy to go out in a super hero cape then why not start with cuffs or a super hero vest under your t-shirt. Check in with yourself too, how do you feel when you are wearing sexy undies rather than grunge old grey knickers? What makes you feel more courageous, more of a rebel, more intelligent?
Your challenge for the week – how are you going to transform yourself? It doesn’t have to be anything big, try a couple of things from the list. If you are feeling brave, come back and let me know how it went!
Did you enjoy this post? Then share it with your friends by hitting the social media buttons then sign up for the fanzine, totally free and contains no spam.