I am sure I am not the only mom out there who pushes self care to the bottom of the list when really it should be at the top. I also bet I’m not the only one who laughs and dismisses the health gurus telling me that I should be doing X amount of exercise between everything else on my list whilst chugging an organic green smoothie.
Being a mom is tough, being a working mom even tougher, being a working mom with no local support – well that just makes Bear Grylls Survival show look like a walk in the park. So, how are we supposed to do it all or more to the point, do we really need to?
I like to give myself mini health treats every day, some of the are a bit daft really but they make me feel good and put me in a better mood, put a spring in my step, and that is what is important, especially when you are having one of those ‘my life is crap’ days. Some of these little health steps take seconds, literally, I kid you not, others you need to sneak in 20 minutes here or there. This is not a list of have to’s, see it more of a list of suggestions, I would love to know what you do to add to the list….
- A Squirt Of Perfume – I have small collection of perfumes but rarely go out anywhere fancy so instead, I give myself a squirt in the morning, even if I am working at home and don’t plan to see anyone all day.
- A Magic Wand Of Mascara – some people love lipstick, I love mascara, a quick wave of the mascara wand and I instantly feel more glamorous, even if I am in my jogging pants and t-shirt.
- 5 Minutes Of Ommm – We bath the Japanese way, that is to say, we take a bath every night and I always take 5 minutes, sometimes more, to meditate whilst in the bath. If I am having one of those crazy brain ache days, I will take a few minutes during the day to stop, breath and centre myself again, makes a world of difference.
- Fancy Nails – If you follow me on instagram you will know I like to do my nails, I have an insane collection of nail varnishes and so Friday night is nail night.
- Ohhh Nice Bobble! – My hair is long and I can’t do with it around my face when I am working but I also dislike having it up in the ‘mommy ponytail’ so I will try different ways of putting it up and I use a fancy bobble, not a scummy old elastic.
- Mama Mia – Here I go again, dancing round the living room, like a disco diva. Who cares what the neighbours think! A good dance to a favourite track or two is always a good pick me up.
- Oo-er Fancy Pants – why wait for a date night (I’ll be waiting until the cows come home!) to wear your fancy undies, put them on today and feel great even if you have an hum-drum day planned.
- Do The Downward Facing Dog – I have done yoga on and off over the years and have recently discovered yogaglo, an online school with several types of yoga and classes set up so you can search for say, lower back pain or for a specific length of time, this is perfect to fit in my busy schedule.
- Taking Time To Learn – I am one of life’s perceptual learners, I always seem to have a new skill to master or a new topic to delve into. I love Craftsy for this, online, self paced classes in all kinds of topics and they have a summer sale on just now. Although as I work I am always learning about new software or how to do something, I also like to schedule a bit of time each week just for learning. At the moment I am delving into accounting, oh yes, I know how to live on the edge!
- Family Time – It is so easy these days because we are so busy to forget to spend proper quality time with each member of the family. I try to remember to take at least a few minutes each day, to have some, one on one, uninterrupted time. Sometimes chores or housework get shoved to one side and instead we have hugs and cuddles.
That is my 10 tips for mini self care, I would love to know what you do and what you are going to start doing! Share in the comment section below.
Loved this? Then grab…
The MOC Playbook: What Macgyver Would Do If He Had Kids
Organizing tips and tricks, parenting help and fun ideas delivered to you weekly – it’s FREE!